Job title: Nigeria MEL Data Analytics Associate
Company: One Acre Fund
Job description: We are seeking a smart, dedicated and analytical M&E or Research professional to be an M&E Associate in Minna, Nigeria. The M&E Associate will be responsible for using data to continually improve our operations, and increase farmer impact.
Location Nigeria Career Level Professionals
In order to maintain One Acre Fund’s ambitious growth trajectory, the New Country Expansion team has identified Nigeria as a critical country to expand to, and we have begun our pilot program in Minna, Niger State.
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our blog for more information.
About the Role
As a growing organization, we are constantly improving our internal operational processes. We are looking for an impact evaluator or field research professional to join our team as an MEL Associate in Minna, Nigeria. Overall, the MEL Associate will use data to continually improve our operations, and impact on our customers. You will use data to improve our operations, develop a deputy, and coordinate our research activities across multiple programs and teams. You will contribute to make informed decisions for our long-term strategy by working with leadership and the MEL team in Nigeria. The MEL department at One Acre Fund operates like an in-house research department and the results are used first and foremost to inform program decisions and to rigorously understand impact. The primary responsibilities for this role would include;
- Goal-oriented survey design, field-testing of survey instruments, and revision.
- Ensure efficient data collection and results.
- You will work with different team members, both from in-country departments and global OAF teams, to identify research goals and draft survey tools to collect information for our annual impact analysis and other strategic queries.
- Design research tools such as surveys and write analysis plans.
- Oversee data collection though qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Conduct data analysis and write reports to draw both early and final conclusions and results.
- You will lead MEL system and process development, create a framework, and draft procedures for MEL project activities.
- Work with the field teams to ensure MEL results and recommendations are understood and acted upon.
- Mentor field staff on best practices in MEL execution through career reviews, field visits, meetings, and training programs.
- Build capacity for analysis staff on MEL design and rigorous analysis.
- Manage in-country MEL staff including Data Coordinator and Field Supervisors which support a team of 20+ Enumerators. This will include the following responsibilities:
- In-field management of high-level MEL activities, with an eye to “perfect” quality standard.
- Quality-control and management of data collection processes.
- Oversee In-field follow-up on errors.
- Oversee the hiring and development of MEL staff.
- Update hiring protocols, and use them to hire top-quality data collectors.
- Conduct regular trainings to improve skills of data collectors.
- Manage staff underperformance.
- Potentially support the New Country Expansion (NCE) Team to enter a new market, expanding our geographic footprint and increasing Impact at Scale
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the . For this role specifically, you will have:
- 1 to 5+ years of work experience, and a long-term passion for international development. We are looking for extraordinary candidates to help take our organization to the next levels of impact.
- Relevant work experiences, such as prior field-based M&E or data collection/research experience
- Academic or professional experience designing evaluations/research and analyzing findings
- Data analysis skills (Excel (can perform complex functions), familiarity with R/Stata or other similar soft wares)
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of data and distil down to essential findings
- Masters degree in International Relations, Public Policy, Statistics or related field preferred, but not strictly required
- Strong team management skills
- Enthusiasm for personal growth and learning.
- Logical and structured thinker with clear and compelling written communication style.
- Experience building staff capacity. Organizational, coordination skill-set. Leadership experience at work and an enthusiasm for learning and growth.
- The ideal candidate should have at least one year demonstrated experience working in the developing world, or be a country national from our program or operations.
- Languages: English (required), Hausa an added advantage.
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Modest housing stipend, international health insurance, six weeks of annual leave and some travel benefits. In addition to paid maternity and paternity leave, we offer additional benefits to new parents.
This role is only open to citizens of Nigeria
Women are encouraged to apply. We are committed to gender equity in our staff operations, representation, and experience. In 2020, women made up 40% of our clients and 44% of our total staff. We have and will continue to intentionally grow these numbers.
19 October 2021
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @ address. Please report any suspicious communication here ( ), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
Location: Minna, Niger State
Job date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 04:08:03 GMT