Job title: NIGERIA – CONFORMITY AND RISK COORDINATOR (H/F) – MAIDUGURI
Company: Solidarités International
Job description: Desired start date: 01/10/2021
Duration of the mission: 12 months
Location: Nigeria, Borno State, Maiduguri
ABOUT THE MISSION
SI is present in North-East Nigeria since 2016 and is currently operating in 4 bases across Borno State (Maiduguri, Monguno, Ngala, Dikwa) with outreach capacities across all BAY (Borno, Yobe and Adamawa) States through its emergency component. Current coordination is based in Maiduguri while a representation office is set up in Abuja. In 2020, SI opened a base in Zamfara State to start Emergency Response in North West where the security and humanitarian situation has been deteriorating in the past few years. Security and humanitarian situation in both North East and North West as well as epidemic outbreaks continue to affect millions of live in those areas.
Security context is challenging in both North East (Borno) and North West (Zamfara), Nigeria, justifying specific arrangements. Depending on evolution of the security situation, access to the deep field vary from limited to none.
SI is responding to the humanitarian needs of displaced populations and host communities through Wash, Shelter & NFI, FSL (Food Security and Livelihood) and Emergency/Rapid Response activities. In order to promote an integrated approach, SI is also lead partner of two consortiums: with INTERSOS implementing CCCM and protection activities and ALIMA (Health and Nutrition).
Mission: size, bases, budget, number of expatriates and national staffs.
- Coordination Office in Maiduguri, Representation Office in Abuja.
- 5 operational bases: Maiduguri, Dikwa, Ngala and Monguno in Borno State, Gusau in Zamfara State
- The number of expatriates is variable between 18 and 20 and national staff is about 220
- The annual budget of the mission is around 9 million euros in 2020 and the mission has potential for development in its current area of intervention as well as in the North Western part of Nigeria where limited actors are currently present.
ABOUT THE JOB
Under supervision of the Country Director, the Conformity and Risk Coordinator (CRC) will continually assess and strengthen adherence to established policies, procedures and standards in order to ensure compliance with donors’ rules and regulations as well as SI policies and procedures.
The Conformity and Risk Coordinator:
– Contributes to the success of external financial audits
Performs internal financial pre-audits to assess the risk level of projects
Is the main contact for headquarters regarding external audits and preparatory documents
Carries out internal organizational audit missions in the field
Participates in mission risk management
Participates in the implementation of internal procedures that best respond to donor requests
Contributes to the retrieval of the missions’ physical and digital archives as well as their processing and analysis.
Participates in training and raising awareness of SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL’s internal procedures and tools
Act as a link for the audit department at Head Quarters regarding External audit, Internal audit and Recommendations Follow-up
Specific stakes and challenges
- Relatively recent position within SI Nigeria mission created to support each department efforts to reach higher level of conformity
- Ensure proper coordination with programs and support departments to limit the risk of ineligible expenditure
- Limited presence in the field of senior staff and limited access to deep field bases
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- * Implement robust Conformity and Risk management mechanisms in a Limited Access Programming set-up
- Continuous training and capacity-building of Conformity & Risk Assistant (new position)
- Review of existing conformity and risk set up and processes and provide recommendations for improvement
- Ensure dissemination of a compliance culture within the mission through formal and on-the-job trainings
Line manager: Country Director
Hierarchical authority over: Conformity and Risks Assistant
Functional manager: Head of Internal Audit Unit
Education and experience:
- Master’s degree in accounting, business management, humanitarian / development studies or other relevant discipline
- At least 2 years’ overseas experience in Emergency settings including one year in a managerial position
- Experience of working in volatile security context with limited field access;
Skills and qualities:
- High level of rigor and attention to details
- Critical thinking and analytical skills
Proficiency in Microsoft Office
Ability to work independently and meet deadlines with minimal supervision ;
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: ability to effectively liaise with and motivate a variety of people in a multi-cultural environment;
Proven track record in remote management and excellent teamwork skills with the ability to build good relations both internally and externally ;
Ability to cope with stress; work under pressure with strict deadlines;
A great team player and leader.
SI WILL OFFER YOU
Salary: According to experience, starting from EUR 2640 gross per month (EUR 2400 base salary + 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly)
Monthly Per Diem: USD 600
SI covers accommodation costs and travel expenses between the expatriate’s country of residence and the mission.
- 1 break of 7 working days every 3 months
- 1 day off per worked month.
These days off, as well as the breaks, are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary: they are offered by SI.
Social and medical cover:
Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Please note that this is an expatriate position.
The Country Director is ideally based in Maiduguri, where all the coordination team and the Deputy Country Director for Programs are based.
In Maiduguri the base offers a comfortable environment, in spite of limited movements outside of the compound for security reasons. The Guest House offers good living conditions, with private bedroom and bathroom and shared and comfortable common spaces. Electricity and internet are available at the office and at the GH at all times. Volley-ball and badminton court, ping pong, and some gym equipment are available in the GH. All essential good (food, hygiene etc..) can be bought locally in the small shops around the office, or in the pre-validated supermarket. There is a good social life in Maiduguri, even though it has been slowed down by the Covid-19 context. Visits to other NGOs are possible, as well as some pre-validated places City Star restaurant, ICRC Lezzy Lizard bar.
COVID 19 :
Solidarités International recommends vaccination against Covid-19, using WHO approved vaccines. If possible, the vaccination should be done before departure in order to reduce the logistical constraints once on the ground.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State
Job date: Wed, 04 Aug 2021 22:30:39 GMT