In this post – law as a career, it covers many mind boggling questions most people ask. Questions like what can you do with a law degree; what are the best jobs with a law degree; what jobs are related to a lawyer? If you fall in the category of people who ask, “should I become a lawyer?” you will get to know some job outlook for a lawyer and what it takes to clinch on it.
Law as a career – Duties of a Lawyer
A professional lawyer helps people as well as businesses to solve their legal problems, understand rules and regulations, and ensure that the lives people lead are within the confines of the law. Lawyers are knot to play many roles from arguing cases in court, to defending a person’s or nation’s right to freedom, and working with business houses handling their legal matters. This would mean knowing the laws of the land, being able to draft documents that will be upheld in any court, and advice people on their individual needs.
What it takes to become a lawyer
To be qualified in the field of law as a career, a future lawyer needs to complete four years of undergraduate school followed by three years in a law school. Then a law graduate must complete the bar examination which tests the comprehensive knowledge of law. After this, the person is given a valid license to practice law. Tests are not just book knowledge; the person is screened for character as well as moral standards.
Jobs for a law graduate/student
Law has many fields and it is important for you to understand the different options clearly. Outlined below are best jobs with a law degree or careers with a law degree and once the examinations are cleared you can:
- Take up private practice which means practicing law on your own or being a part of a larger firm that has hundreds of attorneys. In private practice one can be a trail lawyer or a corporate attorney who handles contracts, wills, legal documents, memorandums, and other aspects of business and everyday life. Clients will seek advice on matters of divorce, marriage agreements, adoption, mergers, acquisitions, setting up of trusts, charity organizations, and more. A private practice lawyer can either be an expert in one field or be a “jack of several aspects of law.” Private practice can include aspects of income tax law, patent and trade mark law, oil and gas law, as well as labor law.
- Be a corporate lawyer and work in the legal department of a large business house. This would involve all legal aspects of running a business from mergers and acquisitions to employee rights, tax, balance sheets, financial aspects, and more.
- Be a lawyer in the government and work for federal agencies at the national or state level. This would of course involve things like public litigations, hearings of regulatory agencies, ordinances, policy making, and more. Many lawyers hold important offices in the government and they do jobs related to a lawyer.
Jobs you can get with a law degree
There are many jobs you can get with a law degree which relates to jobs in a law firm. In the writeups below you will discover some related careers to a lawyer; these are jobs with a law degree you can do. That is to say they are all job of a lawyer. With law as a career, you can:
- Be a lawyer who defends public interests and consumer rights. It’s one of the known jobs similar to a lawyer and it comes with so much public respect.
- Work in the judiciary and serve as a municipal, state or federal DA or judge. This would involve presiding over and arguing for criminal and civil court proceedings.
- Teach law to students. This would include law enforcement, business law, real estate law, and cyber law. One could also work as a law librarian, editor, and administrator.
- Be a lawyer in the military service. This would mean specializing in international laws and all aspects of security as well as human rights.
With law as a career, the options are numerous and once you are qualified you could choose a field that excites you and fulfills your ambitions.
Searches: law as a career, jobs in a law firm, what can you do with a law degree, jobs with a law degree, job of a lawyer, job outlook for a lawyer, what can I do with a law degree, careers with a law degree, jobs similar to a lawyer, jobs for a law student, jobs related to a lawyer, jobs you can get with a law degree, related careers to a lawyer, jobs for a law graduate, best jobs with a law degree, etc.