Jobs in Nigeria
Job title: WPE Capacity Building Assistant
Company: International Rescue Committee
Job description: Background/IRC Summary: The International Rescue Committee, one of the world’s largest humanitarian agencies, provides relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of natural disaster, oppression and violent conflict in 42 countries. The IRC is committed to bold leadership, innovation and creative partnerships. Active in public health, education, livelihoods, women’s empowerment, youth development, and protection and promotion of rights, IRC assists people from harm to home.
IRC entered Nigeria in October 2012 in response to a widespread flood disaster. Since then, the IRC has expanded its scope and size of the programs as new areas became accessible after prolonged conflict and insecurity, in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States. The IRC’s response to the humanitarian situation includes integrated health and nutrition services, as well as reproductive health care and women protection services. In 2015 IRC Nigeria developed a five-year long term Strategy Action Plan. The plan has Health, Education and Economic Wellbeing as high priority program areas.
The IRC WPE program implements Prevention, Response and Empowerment activities to address Gender-Based Violence (GBV) and the focus of this program is to provide good quality health and psychosocial response services to conflict-affected women and girls in Borno State, North-Eastern Nigeria in a timely manner.
The GBV prevention staff assists the Supervisor/Program Manager with activities of the WPE program specifically in the spectrum of GBV prevention. The Prevention staff will perform training functions in the camps and host communities in Borno state. She/he will help design prevention activities that will improve on program quality. She/He will take the lead in planning and conducting trainings on GBV and human rights issues and the monitoring and evaluation of training and sensitization activities.
The Prevention staff will take the lead in developing IEC materials that will improve on prevention and response of GBV, collates reports and statistics on trainings and sensitizations conducted in the field and submit to Supervisor/program Manager. She/he in collaboration with Supervisor/Program Manager, provides technical assistance in relation to prevention activities and prepares standardized training modules.
The Capacity Building Assistant further helps to establish collaborative relationships with collaborating partners, local Partners, local authorities, all IRC Sectors, Women groups, and youth groups, and ensures that trainings are developed to meet their needs and work with GBV Actors for a coordinated referral for GBV Survivors.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Take lead in all GBV training activities.
- In collaboration with IRC Local partners, community mobilizer and case worker plan and conduct prevention activities including but not limited to awareness raising campaigns and community sensitizations.
- Carryout a GBV training needs assessment for WPE staff, IRC sector staff, Partners, Women’s groups, community groups and other community stakeholders.
- In collaboration with community mobilizer, case worker, conduct sensitizations and Trainings to Women’s groups Youth groups, and CBOs on GBV issues.
- Develop and implement prevention strategies.
- Ensure pre and post testing are done and documented
- Design, implement and evaluate quality GBV training in a systematic and consistent manner by establishing GBV training procedures
- In collaboration with Community Mobilization Assistant, case worker and local partners, conduct focus groups and keep detailed documentation about information gathered. Consider this information in planning and conducting animation, sensitizations and to design IEC materials
- Promote women’s active participation in the leadership and decision-making of the community.
- Liaise with IRC local partners, community leaders, government agencies and other appropriate agencies to build support and solicit cooperation and assistance to GBV activities.
- Also, in collaboration with Community Mobilization Assistant, establish, form and train Village Savings and Loan Association (VSLA) group members and establish Group Discussion Series (DGS) with VSLA members and their spouses or representatives to discuss on household decision making process.
- Collaborate with Community Mobilizers in identifying, Forming, and training Engaging Men Through Accountable Practices (EMAP) Facilitators for behavioral and attitudinal change towards ending violence against women and girls and monitoring of their weekly meetings.
- Communicate with the WPE Manager/Coordinator on progress, constraints, and training needs identified and any other matters pertaining to the operations of the GBV Program.
- In collaboration with WPE Staff design an effective and appropriate training strategy, plan of action and project timeline.
- Compile and summarize weekly and monthly statistics and narrative reports and submit to Program Manager in a timely manner.
- Must be a graduate from a reputable institution.
- Must have working experience in GBV for at least 2 years.
- Previous experience as a trainer, Prefer experience with participatory techniques.
- Must be Computer literate in MS-Word and MS-Excel
- Must possess interest and commitment to human rights, gender, gender equality and gender mainstreaming.
- Ability to lead, train, facilitate and motivate other WPE staff in their respective tasks in a professional, respectful, and supportive manner.
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain composure and prioritize work under pressure, able to coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Must be fluent in Community Language written and spoken English. Fluency in Kanuri and Hausa will be an added advantage
- Ability to work as a Team and must be flexible.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: WPE Community Engagement Officer
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
IRC et les employés de IRC doivent adhérer aux valeurs et principes contenus dans le IRC WAY (normes de conduite professionnelle). Ce sont l’Intégrité, le Service, et la Responsabilité. En conformité avec ces valeurs, IRC opère et fait respecter les politiques sur la protection des bénéficiaires contre l’exploitation et les abus, la protection de l’enfant, le harcèlement sur les lieux de travail, l’intégrité financière, et les représailles.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State
Job date: Sun, 05 Sep 2021 22:15:05 GMT
For more latest jobs in Nigeria click here.