Jobs in Canada
Job title: Operators – Open Posting
Job description: Join IUOE, Local 793 and build a rewarding mining career working at Baffinland Iron Mines Corporation’s Mary River iron ore mine at Baffin Island, Nunavut.
Local 793 is now recruiting qualified Operators to work at Baffinland.
This role is an Open Posting. Open Postings may not reflect current workforce requirements. However, Baffinland collects applications from interested parties on an ongoing basis, and utilizes these applications when vacancies become available
The responsibilities of these positions will vary based on the position you are interested in applying for. A detailed job description of each position listed below will be provided when a vacancy becomes available and you are contacted by Baffinland’s recruitment team. All applicants will be required to indicate ALL positions they are interested in from the list below. Please note that you should be properly qualified to fulfill the position and supporting documentation will be requested during the recruitment process.
- Experience operating the piece of equipment for which you are applying for is mandatory Experience operating multiple pieces of heavy equipment is an asset.
- Ability to understand and execute oral and written instructions and to interpret technical manuals and specifications as required.
- Language: Speak English, Read English, Write English (Inuktitut would be an asset).
- Previous mining experience is an asset.
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Able to work outdoors in all-weather conditions
- Physically fit to perform all aspects of job
- Perform all tasks assigned by the Supervisor.
- To follow all procedures and policies as set by the company.
- To fill out all forms required for daily operation of an assigned unit.
- To follow the Safety Plan as specified by the company and to accept the training to do so.
- Perform pre and post-operational checks of equipment as well as assisting and performing other duties
- CAT 6030 face shovels
- MD6290 Drills
- Pit Viper Driller
- D65 Epiroc Drill
- 994 Loader
- Ship Loader (Tower Operator)
- Airport Tech
- Can Handlers
- 992K Wheel Loader
- 988H Wheel Loader
- 950H Wheel Loader
- 345D/390D Excavator
- 320D Excavators
- Rock Breaker (Excavator Mount)
- 16H/16M Motorgraders
- 14H/14M Motorgraders
- Sandvik DX800 drills
- Sandvik DX780 drills
- D9T/D10T Dozer
- Crusher- Tower Operator
- Wester Star 6900XD Tractor w/ B-Train trailers
- Tractor & Trailer (floats)
- Plow Truck
- Fuel/ Lube Truck
- Water/Sewage Treatment
- 777G/793/745 Trucks
- 740B Articulated Trucks
- Water Truck
- Fuel Truck
- 930 Wheel Loaders
- D4/D5/D6 Dozer
- Rubber Tired Dozer
- Jump Conveyer
- Crane Operator
- Senior Water/Sewage Treatment
- General Labourer (Washbay/Greasebay)
About IUOE, Local 793
For over 100 years the International Union of Operating Engineers (IUOE) Local 793 has proudly represented its members, more than 17,600 today, in the construction, industrial and mining sectors in Ontario and Nunavut.
Becoming a Local 793 member will provide you with incredible opportunities to expand your experience, training and skills. With good wages, benefits and working conditions, you will be able to grow your career to an even higher level!
Learn more about the rich history and accomplishments of IUOE Local 793 and its members:
Learn more about Baffinland Iron Mines Corporation and its Mary River Mine:
Please Note: The Partnership Collective Agreement between the Union and Baffinland recognizes and respects that Baffinland is party to an Inuit Impact and Benefit Agreement (IIBA) that covers its mining operations. The IIBA provides that Inuit must have the opportunity for equitable and meaningful participation in Baffinland’s work at the mine. Therefore, Baffinland’s hiring priority will be given to beneficiaries under the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement (NLCA) from Pond Inlet, Igloolik, Clyde River, Hall Beach and Arctic Bay and Iqaluit, followed by residents from other Baffin region communities and then to all other NLCA beneficiaries.