Jobs in Australia
Job title: Academic Coordinator, Young Indigenous Women’s STEM Academy
Job description: Acknowledgement of Country
CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection to their culture and pay our respects to their Elders past and present.
- Would you like to contribute to the development of young Indigenous women in the STEM sector?
- Be part of a team working with high achieving Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander women
- Join CSIRO Education and Outreach and make a difference!
CSIRO, in collaboration with CareerTrackers Indigenous Internship Program Limited, have been provided funds to design and deliver a national 10-year Young Indigenous Women’s STEM Academy for high achieving Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander female and female-identifying students from year 8 through higher education and to graduate employment. The Academy is an investment in a generation of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander female leaders, role models and game changers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) fields.
As the Academic Coordinator, you will act as a role model and provide guidance, assistance and support to female and female-identifying students participating in the Young Indigenous Women’s STEM Academy using a case management approach. The work you will undertake exclusively supports young Indigenous women from ages 13-18 years of age. Your ability to build and maintain strong and respectful relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, families and other stakeholders along with your interpersonal and teamworking skills will be critical to your success in this role.
Please note there are four Academic Coordinator positions available across several locations, offering several types of tenures. Please see below:
- Newcastle, New South Wales (Specified term until September 2023)
- Sydney, New South Wales (Indefinite)
- Hobart, Tasmania or Melbourne, Victoria (Indefinite)
- Brisbane, Queensland (Indefinite)
Your duties will include:
- Establishing, maintaining and fostering ongoing and culturally respectful relationships with schools, families, communities and stakeholders.
- Understanding and following appropriate protocols when working and communicating with Aboriginal communities and Torres Strait Islander communities.
- Providing guidance, support and assistance to students participating in the Academy using solution-focussed, case management approaches.
- Work collaboratively with the Academy team to develop and deliver support materials, activities and resources for Academy participants, including attending Regional STEM Camps.
Location: New South Wales, Queensland, Tasmania or Victoria.
Salary: $87,068 to $98,504 pa (pro-rata for part-time) plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Indefinite and Specified terms available
To be considered you will need:
- Relevant experience and/or a qualification in education, social work, youth work or psychology.
- A demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander societies, cultures and the issues affecting these cultures in Australian society as well as a demonstrated ability to communicate sensitively and effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills including the ability to establish and maintain strong and productive relationships and networks with young people, families, stakeholders, colleagues and supervisors.
- A current class C Australian driver’s license and the ability and willingness to travel regionally and interstate as required.
CSIRO is an Equal Opportunity employer working hard to recruit world-class talent that represents the diversity across our society. As part of our commitment to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander employment outcomes, preference will be given to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates who meet the role criteria
For full details about this role please review the .
Applications for this position are open to Australian Citizens, New Zealand Citizens and Australian Permanent Residents only.
Appointment to this role is subject to provision of a national check, a valid Working with Children Check or the willingness and ability to gain one and may be subject to other security/medical/character requirements.
The successful candidate will be required to provide contact details of at least one Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person to be a cultural referee to confirm their ability to work and communication respectfully with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Flexible Working Arrangements
We work flexibly at CSIRO, offering a range of options for how, when and where you work.
Diversity and Inclusion
We are working hard to recruit people representing the diversity across our society, and ensure that all our people feel supported to do their best work and feel empowered to let their ideas flourish.
At CSIRO Australia’s national science agency, we solve the greatest challenges through innovative science and technology. We put the safety and wellbeing of our people above all else and earn trust everywhere because we only deal in facts. We collaborate widely and generously and deliver solutions with real impact.
Join us and start creating tomorrow today!
How to Apply
Please apply on-line and provide a cover letter and CV that best demonstrate your motivation and ability to meet the requirements of this role.
06 March 2022, 11:00pm AEST/AEDT
Expected salary: $87068 – 98504 per year
NOTE: IF YOU ARE USING A VPN APP, PLEASE TURN IT OFF BEFORE YOU CLICK ON THE APPLY HERE LINK BELOW, ELSE THE JOB LINK WILL NOT OPEN.
For more latest jobs in Australia click here.