Oil and Gas Jobs
Job title: Health & Safety – Advisor
Company: Rio Tinto
Job description: Health & Safety – Advisor
- Be part of a group that is safety driven and values inclusion
- Opportunity to work alongside and network with a global team of Rio Tinto professionals
- This is a Permanent role based in Salt Lake City, Utah
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a Health and Safety – Advisor to support management of HSE risks, controls, processes and systems within the Rio Tinto Kennecott Projects & Engineering Team.
In addition to paying competitively and providing great benefits packages, we want you to live the lifestyle that is right for you and your family. And because of our size and scale, there are many opportunities to learn, grow and do more than you ever thought possible.
Every hour of every shift, your safety and wellbeing is our number one priority. We do the work only if it is safe, and we invest to make sure every member of the team has the quality tools they need to do their job.
This role is a great opportunity to support multi-disciplinary teams and provide technical HS advice to RTK Projects & Engineering. Reporting to the Superintendent – Projects Safety, your responsibilities will include:
- Work with project managers and project teams to implement risk management processes. Support aspects of project HS planning activities, in the field risk management and hazard reduction.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of HS training. Provide coaching and on the job HS training to project staff.
- Ensure contractor practices at a project level comply with Rio Tinto and statutory HS standards and requirements, provide advice and workplace/on-site collaboration to assist contractors to comply with HS standards and requirements.
- Assist project teams to carry out internal audits and inspections of site, equipment, and materials to ensure safe operations.
- Conduct investigations of incidents and near misses. Establish the facts, identify causes, make findings and recommend corrective actions.
What you’ll bring
- A commitment to the safety of yourself and your team
- 5 years or more of experience in a similar role
- Qualifications and experience in relevant disciplines such as health and safety. Relevant Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in related field is desired.
- Health & Safety expertise and achievement in managing HS risks with requirements applicable to a complex operational environment.
- Organizational and project management skills to plan, manage and deliver work including the ability to manage within resource and budget constraints.
- Skills in delivering HS training, including adapting HS training and educational materials for the needs of specific audiences.
- Practical problem-solving skills in researching and resolving HS issues with the ability to develop solutions to non-standard problems.
- Sound communication skills including the ability to write recommendations and reports for management and present information to a range of stakeholders.
- Strong skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
What we offer
Be recognized for your contribution, your thinking and your hard work, and go home knowing you’ve helped the world progress.
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access to top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Excellent retirement plan including 6% defined company contribution
- Generous 401k matching program
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental leave, short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe. Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Where you’ll be working
Our Kennecott mine is a world-class, fully integrated copper mining operation, including a concentrator, smelter and refinery, located just outside Salt Lake City, Utah, in the United States. We produce copper, precious metals including gold and silver, molybdenum and sulfuric acid. Kennecott has been mining and processing minerals from the rich ore body of the Bingham Canyon Mine since 1903, and is one of the top producing mines in the world, comprising approximately 11 percent of U.S. annual copper production.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQ+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V