Job title: Humanitarian Mine Action Manager (International)
Company: Danish Refugee Council
Job description: : F – Manager
Reporting to: DRC Head of Programme
Direct reports: HMA Team Leaders
Unit/department: Humanitarian Disarmament and Peace building (HDP)
Location: Maiduguri (with regular travel to Adamawa State)
Authorization level: N/A
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Programme, the responsibility of the Humanitarian Mine Action Manager is to provide oversight and ensure planning, implementation and reporting of DRC humanitarian mine action (HMA) activities in Nigeria focusing in the North-east region. The activities include:
- Humanitarian mine action project design and monitoring.
- Training education and awareness of Explosive ordnance and safe behavior resulting in reduced risk-taking behavior within the conflict-affected communities and the identification of hazardous areas through non-technical survey that will enable safe return of communities and/or land freed for productive use.
- Explosive ordnance risk education and non-technical survey teams’ management and supervision.
DRC has an operational presence in Nigeria since July 2015. DRC has five main offices in Abuja, Yola, Maiduguri, Damaturu and Mubi and five offices in deep field locations across Northeast Nigeria including Mafa, Ngala, Bama, Pulka and Michika.
The Humanitarian Disarmament and Peacebuilding (HDP) sector, previously known as Danish Demining Group (DDG) is the mine action and peace building unit within DRC and focuses on freeing communities from the fear of mines, explosive remnants of war and armed violence. HDP sector’s mandate is to create a safe environment free from armed violence and the remnants of conflict. HDP focuses on the following sectors: Mine Action (Non-Technical Survey, Explosive Ordnance Risk Education and EOD training to security providers) and Conflict Management through the peace building (PB) programming.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify the critical needs for risk education according to geographic areas and target groups
- Initiate, plan and coordinate EORE and NTS activities in targeted communities.
- Analyze data on contamination collected by the survey teams and provide analytic reports on the level of contamination.
- Conduct frequent field visits and quality assurance of the NTS an EORE activities to enable the identification of training gaps.
- Demonstrate a good budget management.
- Keep the NTS SOP’s and others related updated
- Liaise with local authorities, community leaders, and stakeholders to ensure the smooth running of the NTS, EORE and EOD activities.
- Maintain good communication with partner organizations.
- Facilitate and participate in mine action working group’s meetings
- Maintain good relationships and communication with other mine action organizations in the area and ensure good coordination and
- Adapt the integrated DRC / HDP emergency response approaches
- Prepare weekly/monthly/quarterly work plans and reports.
- Ensure that all reports from the field are properly completed and submitted in a timely manner.
- Ensure timely reporting to the Head of programme, United Nation Mine Action Service (UNMAS) and donor.
- Keep monthly records of NTS/ EORE teams’ progress and activities
- Undertake any other tasks as required by Head of office
Experience and technical competencies:
- Strong on liaison and networking with stakeholders, both on a national and local level.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- The capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in difficult and insecure circumstances.
- At least 3 years of proven recent experience in HMA project management.
- Excellent training and facilitation skills
- Excellent planning and organisational skills
- Excellent communicational skills
- Excellent ability to work in team
- Preferably either police or military experience
- Minimum EOD Level 3 qualified
- Proven experience working on HMA training project.
NOTE: IF YOU ARE USING A VPN APP, PLEASE TURN IT OFF BEFORE YOU CLICK ON THE APPLY HERE LINK BELOW, ELSE THE JOB LINK WILL NOT OPEN.
For more latest Government Jobs click here.