Job title: Country Project Manager / County Representative At Engenderhealth
Job description: EngenderHealth envisions a gender-equal world where all people achieve their sexual and reproductive health and rights. We believe this is essential for ensuring all people can achieve their full potentials. To achieve this vision, we implement high-quality, gender-equitable programs that advance sexual and reproductive health and rights.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Project Manager / County Representative
Job ID: VN035
Employment Type: Full-time
- EngenderHealth’s vision is a world where sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) are respected as human rights, and women and girls have the freedom to reach their full potential.
- To achieve transformational change leading to true social and economic progress, EngenderHealth collaborates with diverse organizations across sectors with the shared goals of highlighting women’s value to sustainable development.
- MOMENTUM Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetrics is a USAID funded program initiated in September 2020 and active through September 2025. Through a consortium of partners led by EngenderHealth, this project expands awareness of, equitable access to, and appropriate use of quality, voluntary surgical maternal health (MH) and family planning (FP) services that are essential to reducing maternal and newborn mortality and morbidity and promoting reproductive health (RH).
- MOMENTUM Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetrics focuses on surgical obstetric care, including safe and indicated cesarean delivery (CD) and peripartum hysterectomy; prevention and treatment of obstetric and iatrogenic fistula; and voluntary long-acting reversible contraceptives and permanent methods (LARCs/PMs).
- In Nigeria, this project also addresses the prevention of female genital mutilation/cutting (FGM/FGC) and ensuring that women who have experienced FGM/FGC have appropriate care and support.
- In Nigeria, MOMENTUM Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetrics builds on EngenderHealth’s long history of successful program implementation with government and civil society partners, including the USAID Fistula Care and Fistula Care Plus projects.
- The Country Project Manager/Country Representative will lead the USAID MOMENTUM Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetrics project in Nigeria, devoting approximately 90% level of effort to lead and manage the program. Responsibilities will include ensuring that the project meets all key benchmarks and oversight of the technical, programmatic, and fiscal day-to-day management of the project. S/he will manage the critical relationships with the Government of Nigeria and other national partners, being the primary liaison with all key stakeholders, including other USAID implementing partners in Nigeria.
- S/he will also ensure that implementation in Nigeria draws on the strengths of and coordinates activities among MOMENTUM Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetrics consortium members.
- In addition, s/he will devote approximately 10% of her time to develop and lead the vision and strategy of EngenderHealth’s overall country program and support new business development opportunities, including interacting with corporate and other philanthropic organizations in Nigeria.
- S/he will have overall responsibility for the country’s program portfolio, including achieving program results, financial management, accounting and reporting, ensuring compliance with all EH and donors’ contractual matters and other applicable laws and regulations.
- S/he will report to the MOMENTUM Safe Surgery in Family Planning and Obstetrics Project Director, and will have direct responsibility for supervision of designated staff and oversee and work closely and in a complementary fashion with other global key personnel managing the project.
- This role is likely to require up to 25% travel within Nigeria and to participate in global project activities, as feasible in the COVID-19 context.
Must possess the following requirements with or without a reasonable accommodation:
- Advanced Degree in Public Health, Clinical Medicine, Nursing, Social Sciences, International Development or related field.
- 5-10 years of experience in implementing MH/SRHR programs in public and/or private health sector in West Africa, preferably Nigeria.
- Experience in working collaboratively with Federal and State Ministries of Health to scale up and implement national and preferably reproductive health programs.
- Experience in developing and overseeing project budgets and workplans.
- Experience in managing and supervising individuals and teams.
- Ability to be strategic and entrepreneurial, and to foster a cultural environment of innovation and collaboration.
- Flexible and adaptable with proven capacity to respond rapidly and effectively to a changing environment.
- Excellent partnership and relationship building skills, with proven results in working with multiple collaborators, such as community-based organizations, traditional, and/or religious groups.
- Excellent understanding of international public health landscape in developing countries in areas related to MH, SRHR, quality improvement and assurance.
- Strong knowledge of the donor landscape within the health sector and potential investors for quality assurance.
- Excellent interpersonal, writing, and oral communications skills.
- Ability to travel within Nigeria and internationally approximately 25% of the time (equivalent of 16 weeks annually) to work with EngenderHealth’s field staff and partners.
- Experience in representing organizations in global technical fora.
- Comfort with a matrix management approach
Essential Soft Skills:
- Comfortable working in a fast – paced environment and being held accountable for meeting ambitious targets.
- Leadership skills to work with autonomy while still being collaborative, prioritize tasks, and positively influence others to follow directives and meet deliverables with global stakeholders
- Systems-thinker whose strength is proactively finding the slightest weakness in a process and implementing a solution.
- Problem-solver mentality, with the ability to adapt seamlessly to changing priorities
- Ensuring compliance with programmatic and clinical standards, as well as donor expectations regarding alignment with the broader MOMENTUM suite of programs and branding/marking guidance.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and ability to work effectively in different socio-cultural contexts.
- Organized, high level of accuracy, and meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to synthesize information from multiple sources and share information effectively with colleagues.
- Able to develop strong working relationships in virtual and remote environments.
- Committed to EngenderHealth’s core organizational values of reflection, inclusion, integrity, respect, and transformation.
Preferred Knowledege, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to use knowledge of the organizational and political climate to solve problems and accomplish goals.
- Experience in advocating for the integration of MH/SRHR standards and practices into national policies, systems and training frameworks.
- Experience in technical tools and materials development.
- Experience in program monitoring and reporting.
- Experience with budgeting and expenditure monitoring
- Knowledge of USAID rules and regulations.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
- The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person(s) assigned to this job. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities as needed and assigned.
- EngenderHealth provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to race, creed, ancestry, citizenship, religion, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, political belief, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, marital status, disability or any other protected characteristic or status under applicable federal, state and local laws.
- EngenderHealth complies with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in the United States in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
- EngenderHealth is committed to safeguarding all people, particularly children, vulnerable adults and beneficiaries of assistance from any harm that may be caused due to contact with EngenderHealth. This includes harm arising from the conduct of staff, associates and partners; and the design and implementation of programs and activities.